Welcome to our new website and News Blog! This year, Mystic River Building Company is celebrating our 10th Anniversary! In 2003, home permits and sales activity were at their peak in Connecticut, and homes were bigger and more luxurious than ever.
During the last ten years, we have built new custom homes and remodeled and restored existing homes throughout New London and New Haven Counties. We have also weathered six years of the worst housing downturn in the country’s history.
MRBC has stood the test of time, and in our first blog post, we would like to share ten home building trends that have survived as well.
In the more frugal ‘New Normal’ of 2013, these trends continue to offer homeowners lasting value, and that is what MRBC is committed to offering our customers as well.
1. ENERGY EFFICIENCY – A key advantage of new construction over existing older homes has been lower energy and home maintenance cost. However, technologies like open and closed cell insulation, geothermal heating & cooling and solar, have given new homes an even greater performance edge over their older counterparts. In fact, energy-efficiency upgrades have become popular among owners of older homes, because homeowners are looking for long term energy savings and a healthier more comfortable living environment.
At MRBC, every home we build or remodel is an E-Save home.
2. CRAFTSMANSHIP has grown in importance over the past ten years. Even in smaller homes, homebuyers are demanding intricate molding and detailing, including paneling and beadboard on walls and ceilings, like the ceiling shown here for a master suite addition we built in North Stonington.
3. OUTDOOR ROOMS – It began with front porches, screened porches and sunrooms, and spread to patios with outdoor kitchens, comfy indoor outdoor furniture, even outdoor fireplaces and fire pits. In fact, the new family room has become the backyard.
4. COUNTRY KITCHENS – The trend began with the popular center island, which was open to a breakfast area. But the island morphed into an eating bar with seating and built-in microwave or warming drawer. The breakfast area has grown in size, and a family room with fireplace has been added to the mix. What is now the country kitchen extends across the entire back half of the home, and it is the center of family life.
5. STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES – For the last ten years, stainless steel has been the top choice for kitchen appliances, and we don’t see that trend losing steam any time soon.
6. GRANITE COUNTERTOPS are #1 on just about every woman’s wish list. Even in a $250,000 home, granite is important!
7. MASTER BATHS WITH WALK-IN SHOWERS – Master baths have become a spa like haven for peace and relaxation, and walk-in showers with multiple shower sprays are a must have feature.
8. BUILT-IN STORAGE – “Getting organized” is every woman’s dream, so built-in storage continues to be a practical and non-negotiable item on her wish list. For a new or remodeled home, this is a feature that truly offers lasting value.
9. JAMES HARDIE SIDING – In 1999, we installed James Hardie siding on a House of the Year in Stonington. It was the 1st James Hardie installation in the state. HardiePlank and HardieShingle siding, have the look of cedar, low maintenance, and a 50 year warranty, and these siding products have become synonymous with tradition, quality and value in Connecticut.
10. AdvanTech is an industry leader of flooring and sheathing, and winner of Builder Magazine’s #1 Quality Brand Leader award for 11consecutive years. The flooring is engineered for superior strength and moisture resistance, and provides a quiet, stiff floor. AdvanTech sheathing is superior to OSB and its water resistance means it won’t warp, cup or delaminate. Nort Wheeler was one of the first builders in Connecticut to use AdvanTech, and MRBC uses this superior product on every home we build or remodel.